Sunday, January 10, 2010

Tunes

1 - Happy 71st to Scott McKenzie!

2 - Tree is down, decorations are put away, the house is back to more or less normal.

3 - And, what's playing is

Small World, by Johnny Mathis - 1959, this song's release year, Johnny was 24. This song is just so smooth, and the man's voice is just plain remarkable.

The Year It All Went Wrong - Michael McDermott. Yeah, maybe I played this last time, too. I had a somewhat distorted copy until today :).

The Beatles Complete - bootleg from Seven Seas, 12 CD set that covers from 1957 to 1963. I don't know exactly what "complete" means, but 355 tracks of home tapes, live radio, and studio outtakes

Ringo Starr - Y Not - meh

John Sebastian & David Grisman - John's voice right now is in tatters, but he tries like hell. His instrumental skills are another story, and he shines on guitar, harmonica, and that guitar/banjo thing, and the Walk Right Back instrumental is just one of the CD's keepers. And a damned fine recording. The CD is called Satisfied.

Tom Petty The Live Anthology - Petty must have been one heck of a live show back in the 70's. Not that he's missed a tick today, but I imagine that the hunger to make his mark 30+ years ago must have made for a serious good live show. Of course this collection is great :). And if you can find his appearances on the BBC's The Old Grey Whistle Test, or any of Tom's recent DVD's, it's a good time, believe me.

Funky Kings - I remember finding this in a record shop in the 70's, and it changed my life. I can't explain why, or how, and maybe you had to be there, but if you come across this LP, their first and only, give it a try. I was finally able to find a digital copy to replace my still pristine LP, and it was worth very second of trying to find it. Art Garfunkel covered Easy To Begin, but I can't imagine a version better than the original. Jules Shear, Jack Tempchin and a record label's attempt to create another Eagles. Sure as heck worked for me :).

Indigo Girls, Rochester, NY, 2002 - Another live "tape" performance I found on line. My daughter was into the Girls years ago, and several songs they did are still favorites. Galileo is simply a masterpiece.

JD Souther - Silver Blue - I sang this for my therapy group's final session in 1981. I don't know why. Starts out with just JD, and a bass player. The purity in JD's voice has always been the key for me.

It's still light at 5PM EST. Barely, but I can see across the street. Spring is still a ways away, but it's coming.

Anyway, as you can tell, the Chad & Jeremy world is still quiet. While the "official" sites may trumpet the release of the Patty Duke DVD set, truth is the real good news won't happen until we hear release dates for the CD, and DVD, or the tour dates are "officially" announced. I understand that tickets are on sale for one April show in NJ already, though that show, nor any others, has not been announced by the folks in charge.

Finally, as you can see, I'm still working on moving some videos over. I lost energy there for a bit, but I'll be back on it soon. And, MySpace is coming down bit by bit. I'm removing tags right now, and will continue to do so until completion.

And that's it for now.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention. www.twitter.com/jdsouther

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony, once again, how do we take down a video which you removed from YouTube. I have a blank area on MySpace for Some Small Town. Janet

    ReplyDelete